The New York Times has released a list of 27 things it says make a “Modern Man”.
However, it seems that the Modern Man (as defined by the Times) is a bit contradictory at times.
2. The modern man never lets other people know when his confidence has sunk. He acts as if everything is going swimmingly until it is.
20. On occasion, the modern man is the little spoon. Some nights, when he is feeling down or vulnerable, he needs an emotional and physical shield.
26. The modern man cries. He cries often.
He doesn’t show people what’s bothering him, but he cries, often apparently. So you should cry a lot, but not tell people why you’re crying? Got it.
He’s also oddly contradictory on modern technology:
6. Before the modern man heads off to bed, he makes sure his spouse’s phone and his kids’ electronic devices are charging for the night.
24. The modern man doesn’t get hung up on his phone’s battery percentage. If it needs to run flat, so be it.
Finally, the Modern Man must be a great MMA fighter because he’s apparently able to handle any threat with his bare hands.
16. The modern man lies on the side of the bed closer to the door. If an intruder gets in, he will try to fight him off, so that his wife has a chance to get away.
25. The modern man has no use for a gun. He doesn’t own one, and he never will.
So in the same list you acknowledge the need to protect your family, but then deny needing the tools to do so?
What do you think? Are you a Times Modern Man?