Following this weekend’s deadly terror attack in Orlando, the chilling warnings issued by an American citizen who was arrested for supporting ISIS are getting a second look. [Scroll Down For Video]
Christopher Cornell, the Ohio man who was arrested in January of 2015 over a plot to attack targets in Washington DC and is a self described member of ISIS, called a local news station and gave an unexpected phone interview from the detention facility where he is being held.
In the interview, Cornell issued some chilling warnings:
“I got orders from the brothers overseas because I’m with the Islamic State. My brothers over there, in Syria and Iraq, gave me specific orders to carry out jihad in the west, so I did so.”
“What do I think is coming? Many things. There will be many, many attacks. Like I said, we are ready for the battle over the Capitol.”
“We are pretty strong. Yes, yes. In every state like I said. We’re in Texas. We’re in Ohio. We’re in New York City. We’re in Washington, DC. We’re in every single state you can name, just about.”
In the interview, Cornell also admitted that had he not been arrested by the FBI he would have carried out his plan to attack the US Capitol and Israeli Embassy with pipe bombs and firearms.
According to USA Today, this is the timeline followed by Cornell for his potential involvement with ISIS:
– Summer 2014. Christopher Cornell establishes Twitter account under the name Raheel Mahrus Ubaydah and posts content indicating support of the Islamic State and violent jihad.
– Aug. 29. Cornell writes an instant message to an FBI informant that he had been in contact with persons overseas and did not think he would receive specific authorization to conduct a terrorist attack here.
– Oct. 17 and 18. Cornell meets with an FBI informant, says he needs weapons to use in December and shows jihadist videos and information about building bombs from his laptop.
– Nov. 10 and 11. Cornell and the informant meet again. Cornell indicates that he considers members of Congress as enemies and intends to attack the Capitol.
– Jan. 14 2015. Cornell buys two M-15 semi-automatic rifles and 600 rounds of ammunition from a Cincinnati-area gun shop. FBI agents arrest him immediately afterward.