We are seeing numerous media reports out of Australia about a foiled Muslim terror attack in the land down under.
Over 800 police officers were involved in multiple pre-dawn raids which took down numerous islamic extremists who police say were plotting to behead Australian citizens in public executions.
According to a Reuters report,
Court documents to be revealed later on Thursday were expected to show the plan involved snatching someone in Sydney and executing them on camera, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and other Australian media said.
“The exhortations, quite direct exhortations were coming from an Australian who is apparently quite senior in ISIL to networks of support back in Australia to conduct demonstration killings here in this country,” Abbott told a media conference in the Northern Territory.
“So this is not just suspicion, this is intent and that’s why the police and security agencies decided to act in the way they have.”
More than 800 police were involved in the pre-dawn raids, described as the largest in Australian history. At least 15 people had been detained, with one man charged with a serious “terrorism-related” offence, police told a news conference.
ABC News further expanded on the plot on their Twitter account
Court documents expected to reveal the terror plan involved draping random Sydney person in Islamic State flag and beheading them on camera
— ABC News (@abcnews) September 18, 2014
#BREAKING: Police say the order to behead members of the public was given in a phone call intercepted by authorities two days ago
— ABC News 24 (@ABCNews24) September 18, 2014
It’s actually shocking how close this plot came to being reality. What if police had not intercepted that phone call?
This comes on the heels of an arrest of a radical Muslim in upstate New York in the United States who is accused of funding ISIS activities, recruiting for the terrorist group, and planning out an attack on American soil.