The FBI has announced it will not charge Hillary Clinton after re-opening the investigation into her email scandal after new emails were uncovered last week.
FBI Director James B. Comey informed key members of Congress Sunday afternoon that the FBI stands by their original findings. This comes days after Comey said new emails had been found and started a firestorm within days of the election. A rumor had even begun that they were looking to indict Clinton. Now, apparently, the case appears closed.
[Scroll Down For Video]
Comey wrote that FBI and their investigators “worked around the clock” to review all the emails that were recently uncovered from the devices belonging to former congressman Anthony Weiner. Weiner who is the estranged husband of Clinton’s top aide, Huma Abedin.
The emails were reviewed and the FBI declared, “we have not changed our conclusions expressed in July.”
The news has massive implications for a last minute boost for Clinton, who lost critical momentum in the closing days of the campaign. This comes after Comey said on October 28th the FBI was taking “additional investigative steps” after the new emails were discovered involving her account while Secretary of State.
Comey’s widely criticized letter to Congress 11 days before the election helped fuel a surge in the polls for GOP nominee Donald Trump.
Comey letter: "We have not changed our conclusions that we expressed in July with respect to Secretary Clinton." pic.twitter.com/aa1eG4JZFo
— MJ Lee (@mj_lee) November 6, 2016
“Since my letter, the FBI investigative team has been working around the clock to process and review a large volume of emails from a device obtained in connection with an unrelated criminal investigation,” Comey wrote to members of the House Oversight Committee on Sunday. “During that process, we reviewed all of the communications that were to or from Hillary Clinton while she was Secretary of State. Based on our review, we have not changed our conclusions that we expressed in July with respect to Secretary Clinton.”
Clinton’s campaign reacted quickly. Spokeswoman Jennifer Palmieri made the statement, “We have seen Director Comey’s latest letter to the Hill. We are glad to see that he has found, as we were confident that he would, that he has confirmed the conclusion that he reached in July, and we’re glad that this matter is resolved.”